Old 18-08-2007, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Problem with Fescue

Foobar said:

On Aug 17, 3:26 pm, wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:14 pm, Eggs Zachtly wrote:

Foobar said:

[...]

overseed yearly

Source?

--

Eggs

Yes, I'd like to see the source for fescue needing to be overseed
yearly. Or needing to be aerated yearly. Or needing a lot of
water? Or being hard to maintain? The fescues are recognized as
being relatvely low maintenance. Funny if fescues have those
characteristics how they are widely used in parks, athletic fields,
and sod production.

Yes, I'd like to see the source for fescue needing to be overseed
yearly. Or needing to be aerated yearly. Or needing a lot of
water? Or being hard to maintain? The fescues are recognized as
being relatvely low maintenance. Funny if fescues have those
characteristics how they are widely used in parks, athletic fields,
and sod production.

Most Fesue is a hybrid. It doesn't produce seed. It is a cool season
clump grass. It germinates from seed and when it dies it dies. It
doesn't spread, hence the need to overseed.

Bullshit. Where do you think the seed you plant, comes from? Even mown
fairly short, fescue produces seed.

It is sold as low maintenance and drought tolerant. It is somewhat
drought tolerant as it will go dormant. However, even dormant Fescue
needs water. If the grass does go dormant, when the rain comes, much
of it will not revive. Which means, it must be overseeded.

So, you're assuming that noone waters their lawn, during periods of
little/no rain? All of the rough on our course is tall fescue. We've
*never* over-seeded any areas of established rough, in the time that I've
been working there (5+ years).

A properly maintained fescue lawn doesn't need to be over-seeded *every*
year, as you state. That's an absurd statement to make, and any credibility
you may have, goes right "out the window", if you stand by that statement.

--

Eggs

A flashlight is a case for holding dead batteries.