Old 02-04-2003, 11:20 AM
Thos

Default Moving Young Fruit Trees

Thanx all for your advice. I'll give it a go :-)

"jane" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:23:38 -0700, "Dwayne" wrote:

~And do it in the evening, not during the hot part of the day. Water at
~least twice a week for several weeks, as long as the waster drains very
~well. Otherwise less. Dwayne
~
~"Thos" wrote in message
~ Hi All
~ I planted some dwarf fruit trees(plum/gage/cherry) about 18 months ago,

~ have since re-thought the layout of the garden, and now want to move

them.
~ They have just started to show bud.
~ Can I risk moving them now if I do it carefully and show them extra

loving
~ care for the next few weeks?
~ What is the wisdom of the group?
~ Your comments eagerly awaited
~ Regards
~ Tom

I managed to move successfully a tripover apple the other week. It was
quite elderly, and the nicest flavoured apple in my allotment, but the
previous holder had put it in a silly place. It had barely any root, and I
thought it was not going to survive, especially as its buds were quite
large at that point.

I put loads of well-rotted manure in the hole, stomped it all down well,
watered it well and mulched it heavily with wood chippings. It has now
taken off like a rocket and has buds open all over, and looking like the
flowers are going to open any day now. I was amazed. I think your
youngsters will have a good chance.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!