Old 18-08-2007, 04:39 AM posted to austin.gardening
cat daddy cat daddy is offline

Default Is it possible to overwater succulents?

"Wooly" nobody@nunya wrote in message
Subject says it all. My cactus garden (planted in a very large forest
bonsai pot) is looking decidedly peaked this year and I suspect an
excess of rain. Anybody else having potted cactus issues? I've ruled
out root rot by cautiously exploring the sandy loam with a chopstick -
all the roots I'm finding are strong. I gave the pot it's usual annual
fertilizer treatment with fish emulsion back in May, then the monsoon
started - maybe the cacti want more feed? The jade plant is the worst
off - the leaves are actually cyanotic with plenty of brown pitting,
even though the roots seem to be in good shape.

Comments? Suggestions?

I never water my jade until the leaves start to shrivel. They thrive on
neglect and I am happy to accommodate them.