Old 02-04-2003, 11:44 AM
John H Wood

Default Moving Young Fruit Trees

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 06:14:29 +0000 (UTC),
(jane) wrote:

I managed to move successfully a tripover apple the other week. It was
quite elderly, and the nicest flavoured apple in my allotment, but the
previous holder had put it in a silly place. It had barely any root, and I
thought it was not going to survive, especially as its buds were quite
large at that point.

I put loads of well-rotted manure in the hole, stomped it all down well,
watered it well and mulched it heavily with wood chippings. It has now
taken off like a rocket and has buds open all over, and looking like the
flowers are going to open any day now. I was amazed. I think your
youngsters will have a good chance.

I hope this will not be pride before a fall. It's early days yet. The
bursting buds don't show that the roots are working well. Just that
it's spring and the tree is still alive.

I have five choice apples varieties that I grafted six years ago and
cherished. They were cropping well and living up to my expectation
taste wise. The daughters' sheep got at them and ring barked the lot,
the entire stems. They are budding wonderfully as if nothing had
happened but when the leaves are out and transpiring in the hot sun
they will die. Hope your own survives the transplant. Give us an
update next spring.

Blossom already! Where do you live, south of France?

John
East Devon

Remove "s" from upslyme when replying.