Old 18-08-2007, 03:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Frank Frank is offline

Default Problem with Fescue

Stubby wrote:

Note that "Tall Fescue" is a very specific grass. Bags of seed that list
"fescue(s)" probably do NOT contain Tall Fescue. Lofts Rebel II is all Tall
Fescue and there are one or two others.

Tall Fescue seems to be working for me here northwest of Boston. Neighbors'
lawns are fairly burned out, but mine is still reasonable. I overseed
lightly after Labor Day.

The sun/shade mix out in my garage, bought in spring for a bare spot,
contains 2 fescues, neither tall, a blue grass and 2 ryes. Have no idea
of proportion of grasses in my lawn but it looks fine with infrequent
over seeding. IMHO to have varied grasses in the lawn makes sure
something is growing. I remember many years ago when Scott was touting
Kentucky blue and everybody was putting it in. Then something like sod
webworms would come along and wipe out the whole lawn. That doesn't
happen to those of us with mongrel lawns
Frank