Old 18-08-2007, 08:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
Wooly Wooly is offline

Default My fall/winter project.

wrote:
Hello Everyone,

5. Before planting some kind of ground cover I want to improve the
soil conditions. What should I do to prepare for my spring planting of
ground cover? Compost? if so what kind? Top soil?

Lots of folks use DilloDirt for that. Unless the ground is very
compacted tilling or turning is generally unnecessary. Spread the
DilloDirt, run an aerator over the yard, done.

3. Cut back the branches damaged by the worm webs , feed fertilizer to
the tree and put herbicide to kill off the webs and prevent return of
them next spring. Any suggestions on the type of Herbicide to use?

If you use herbicide you won't need to worry about the tree, period, as
herbicide tends to kill growing things. I think you mean pesticide?
The best way to deal with webworms is to cut out the webs when you see
them, burn the refuse or bag it securely and put it out for pick up.

7. What type of ground cover should I use? I had read about clover as
it is less needy of water, airation and cutting. However, it was not
clear in this article if it would do well under shady conditions
because of the tree.

You should research drought- and shade-hardy ground covers that do well
in our area. Plant whichever one you decide to keep on a long-term
basis. I usually think of clover when I think of chemical-free
gardening and soil amendment, as clover is a nitrogen fixer frequently
used as a green manure on grown that's being left fallow for a season
for recovery. Bees like it too. Unless you're gardening or beekeeping
there's really no reason to put on a green manure crop, especially if
you go the DilloDirt route.

JM2C as a minimalist landscape person.