Old 19-08-2007, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_4_] Billy[_4_] is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article om,
Sheldon wrote:

Billy Six Toes mumbles:
Pennyaline wrote:
Omelet wrote:
Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
good pot drainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put a pot sherd over the hole or holes.

But, I use really big pots when I do that. 1 gallon on up to 25 gallon
depending on what I am planting. ;-)

But did you put in enough gravel or pot shards to hold the containers
down in a high wind? That is the OPs problem.

Actually, Omlet was responding to another of Shelly's ill conceived
constructions of reality, which by the way didn't address OP's problem
either.

To answer OP's question, you would need to know the size of the pot, and
its weight with soil and plant, and the height of the plant and how much
surface area opposed the wind, and most importantly an upper limit to
wind gusts. Obviously, Hurricane Dean would have blown the plant over,
if not away. Relatively speaking, lowering the center of gravity is
advantageous to the verticality of the pot.

Why don't you ask Shelly? He is full of . . . answers, of varying
quality. Maybe you'll get lucky.

The more you attempt to sound intelligent the more apparent how dumb
you are.

Placing pot shards and/or stones in a pot will add no more weight
than the soil it displaces, and will in time create air pockets as
the plant roots develop.

And if you weren't functionally illiterate you'd have comprehended the
concept of obtaining heavier/larger pots... and the warning to bring
all potential missles indoors during periods of high wind. Seems most
everyone else can comprehend the written word, but not the inbred
Hilly Billy

Will lowering the center of gravity make the pot more stable? Yes. Is
rock or sand, heavier than potting soil? Yes. Will rock or sand in the
bottom of a pot make the pot more stable? Yes. Did Shelly's response
address any of these points? No.

Additionally, Shelly is abusive and mean spirited. He must be having
trouble with his forest pansy again.
--
FB - FFF

Billy