Old 02-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Tsu Dho Nimh

Default Cats again

Albert Fiantaca wrote:

Hi

It's springtime. The garden soil is soft and has been turned once. The
gang of neighborhood cats have decided that my vegetable garden plot is
the place to crap in. It stinks to the heavens and I particularly don't
want it where I grow food. I have to search out the spot where they
their bury it and dig it out to dispose of it. What can I do to put a
stop to this?

Know your enemy: Cats have a keen sense of smell, tender feet,
and hate to get wet. They also sniff the area they plan to dig
in.

Use a motion-detector sprinkler (there is a battery-operated one)
aimed at the garden. Surprise them a few times and they will
avoid the area.

They usually despise citrus peel - scattering it liberally can
help. Scattering a liberal dose of cheap HOT chile powder helps.

Laying a moat of thorny branches around the perimeter helps, as
does covering with a vinyl trellis (plant in the holes)

Pretend they are rabbits and make a hoop house with bird netting
over the veggie beds.

Tsu

--
To doubt everything or to believe everything
are two equally convenient solutions; both