Old 19-08-2007, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Eggs Zachtly Eggs Zachtly is offline

Default Root-o-Rama!

Cliff & Sue Drake said:

I finally got around to taking some cuttings from my 'Blackie' sweetpotato
vine on Wednesday. Yesterday (Friday) I checked the glass they are in and
discovered they have roots an inch long already!! Talk about instant
gratification -- no wonder kids love them in school...

Hope I don't get overrun this winter when I'm keeping the potted cuttings on
the enclosed porch for next spring. ;-] I generally leave my other
house-type plants and sturdier orchids outside until the night-time temps
drop to the mid-40s, usually sometime in October. I move them back out when
the night temps are steadily above the mid-40s in the spring. Have never
grown this plant before, and have no idea how tender it is -- any
suggestions as to how long I can leave the potted cuttings outdoors this
fall would be much appreciated. TIA!

Why worry about taking cuttings from such a common plant? If you really
want to have it again next season, just save the tuber. =)

--

Eggs

Is Marx's tomb a communist plot?