Old 02-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Kay Easton

Default Cooked my venus fly trap...

In article , Steve
Harris writes
In article ,
(Kay Easton) wrote:

Er, I thought they were frost-tender?

Not venus fly traps. I've grown mine outside over the winter with no
trouble.

Ah, the The International Carnivorous Plant Society FAQ is wrong then.

[http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2460.html says "Dormancy temperatures
should be chilly but not freezing. Do not let your plants freeze!!]

Wasn't it Venus fly traps we were talking about, rather than Sarracenia?

www.carnivorous-plants.co.uk/dionaea/grow.asp
is surely more relevant.

This says it will withstand low air temperatures but avoid frost, and I
guess this is probably true of where I overwintered mine - tucked in
next to the waterfall of our pond. Survived winter and was growing well,
then the whole caboodle got swiped by a bird gathering moss for a nest!

The suggestion to try it outdoors came from a chap on one of the
carnivorous plant soc stands at one of the big garden shows. I had lots
of seedlings, so nothing to lose.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: