Old 19-08-2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens
symplastless symplastless is offline

Default Ailing Franklinia

Also here are some additional suggestions.

--
Many tree problems are associated with the following: They are Case
Sensitive.

Troubles in the Rhizosphere
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/RHIZO.html

Unhealthy Trees from the Nursery / Improper Planting
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub1.html
and
Look up "Tree Planting" http://www.treedictionary.com

Improper Mulching - http://home.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html
and
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/M/ Look up "Mulch"

Improper Pruning
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/tree_pruning

Improper Fertilization (See A Touch of Chemistry)
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/shigo/CHEM.html

Tree Farming and Related Problems
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/SOUND/

Sincerely,
John A. Keslick, Jr.
Arborist
http://home.ccil.org/~treeman
and www.treedictionary.com
that we are not the boss.

"William Wagner" wrote in message

I have a 35 year old Frankinia that has been slowly self pruning. We
are currently down to a Y shape which I had hoped to avoid. This is the
only tree we own that some folks call about sometimes to inquire on it's
status. Some sort of registry? We love having a tree that blooms in
august that also has some local lore attached to it. Franklinia was
named for Ben franklin by his friend John Bartram. None exist in the
wild ! Weird !!

Well yesterday I noticed a split forming between the two major
branches. The main trunk is about 5 inch in diameter and the two
branches about half of that. I was wondering about support. My Dad who
knows a lot more than I said Drill it and put a rod with treads thru it.
Use large washers and bolt it four times. Two on each branch,

Any thought on dealing with this issue?

Many Thanks!

Bill

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia