Old 19-08-2007, 04:17 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.paleontology,sci.bio.systematics
John Harshman John Harshman is offline

Default Taxon character matrices database

Daniel wrote:

Ok. I'm looking for a database of morphological character states of
animals, plants, bacteria and their stems, classis, ordos. For
example:

Animalia
Vertebrata
Mammalia
Marsupialia

And for all of these taxons character states. I hope, I could describe
my idea as good as possible.

Please excuse my bad English knowledges.

I don't know of such a thing, per se. If you have access to BIOSIS, put
in some search terms like morphology, ultrastructure, phylogeny, and a
taxon name. For very deep taxa there are very few morphological
characters, and most of these will be ultrastructural -- features of
individual cell anatomy. Animals, for example, have gap junctions.

You might also check out www.tolweb.org. The references there would be a
good source of morphological characters for the various groups.

Palaeos is also a good source: www.palaeos.com.

Particular databases either exist or are in preparation for some groups.
The Archosaur project is preparing one for, obviously, Archosauria and
included groups. But I'm not currently finding a web presence for it.