Old 19-08-2007, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default How to remove tree stumps

On Aug 16, 11:38?pm, dashaddow wrote:
I have a poplar tree with a metal rod in it (for support when it was a
small tree). I cut it down, the stump is 7 feet tall. How can I cut
the rest of it down, with the metal in it. The diameter would probably
be 3 feet. Thank you. (Can't burn it; live in a city. ) Please
contact me if you have some creative ideas.

Hacksaw.

Poplar is one of the largest deciduous tree in N. America but still, a
poplar with a 3' diameter trunk is mighty impressive... how did you
manage to cut it seven feet in the air... that would be a far more
difficult feat. I'm assuming you made an educated guess that the
supporting rod wouldn't be much taller, I doubt you have x-ray
vision. I figure with your extrordinary mechanical aptitude thinking
of a hacksaw would be a piece of cake... I mean like how would you cut
a metal rod were it not inside a tree?

Just pick a height and hack away enough wood to reach the rod
(naturally choose the shortest route to the rod, I can't imagine it's
dead center). Make two hacksaw cuts and remove the short length of
rod... chainsaw through the rest of the wood. Now you'll have a stump
perhaps a foot above ground. Poplar decays rather quickly. If it's a
piece of rebar it will have signicant ridges. After about two years
the wood should have decayed enough to yank out the rod... all you
need is a loop of chain (a loop of tire chain will work fine) a long
crow bar and a length of iron pipe to use as a lever. I know this
will work because I've done it, jacked out 12' of rebar that was used
as a ground for an electric fence, an old Norway spruce had partially
grown around it... the earth held it much more firmly than the old
tree. I still wonder how that farmer pounded a 1/2" diameter rod at
least ten feet into the ground.