Old 02-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Frogleg

Default Vegi Gardens

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:09:59 GMT, "SugarChile"
wrote:

Sure there are--asparagus being the prime example. Also horseradish and
rhubarb. Jerusalem artichokes may as well be, since once you have them, you
have them forever, and they should grow in their own dedicated patch.

Plus, some of the plants we think of as annuals, because that's how we
harvest them, are actually biennials. Things like carrots and parsley will
flower in their second year, set seed, then die. I like to let a few go to
flower, because they are so popular with the tiny beneficial wasps.

"Frogleg" wrote in message
*Are* there any perennial veg? Well, I'm sure there must be, but the
ones I'm familiar with are annuals. This is something I always mention
about herb gardens -- one doesn't want to plow up the perennials, nor
try and replant annuals within a perennial bed and disturb those good,
productive plants.

Right. Asparagus, f'r sure. And since my horseradish-in-a-pot is
putting up new leaves, I should have thought about that. I know about
parsley & carrots, but the OP asked about low maintainence veg, so I
was thinking of some variation on tomatoes, peppers, corn, etc. [My
carrots never got to 'biennial' at all. In fact, none reached
maturity. I thinned and ate and thinned and ate some more until the
last remaining one was only about 3" long. And then I ate it.]