Old 20-08-2007, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emrys Davies Emrys Davies is offline

Default Ants in Lawn

"Alan Terry" wrote in message

Had a nasty surprise today ...

Lawn had about 8 little piles of earth over about 8sqm.

Raking them revealed scores of ants (wife says red ants).

I have sprayed some insect repellent, but suspect that may not be the
best 'solution'.

Any tips for what to do / what to keep an eye on, please?

The ants will do very little harm to the lawn. Rake the hills prior to
mowing and that should suffice, particularly at this time of the year,
but if you are concerned
brush away the ant hills before mowing and pour boiling water down into
the nest. Personally, I do not think that the latter is necessary as I
tend to tolerate ants because they are quite harmless.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.