Old 02-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Moss

In article ,
Elaine MacGregor wrote:
Could anyone please tell me of an organic way to kill moss on a small, damp,
north facing lawn. I have spiked it, added sand to improve drainage and fed
it but so far no improvement.
The moss is very pretty but when it dries out in the summer I am just left
with a brown mess.

It won't help. There is no grass that will thrive over a wider range
of waterlogging to dessication than moss will. If your lawn is very
damp in winter and dries out in summer, then you will merely end up
with shrivelled grass in summer.

Unless you can get the drainage good enough that the soils drains well
in winter, you will always have trouble in summer.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.