Old 02-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Tom Elliott

Default Removing lawn to make way for gardenbed?

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 07:25:50 +0800, "Sue" wrote:

Hi
I want to dig up some more of my couch lawn to extend a garden bed.
Previously I have been digging it out and trying to save as much of the top
soil as possible. I should add the lawn is only four months old, grown from
seed and the roots don't go down for miles, YET!! :-)
I guess I am starting to get lazy but was thinking that maybe I could spray
the area with Zero or similar. Will I be doing the wrong thing in trying
to avoid digging. I would like to be able to replant the area within a
month.
Thanks, Sue Karratha.

You could always do the following :

1. Dig out area, chopping the top into squares.
2. Flip the squares so the grass is now underground, and the soil is
on top.
3.. Cover with newspaper, add more soil on top of that.

Worked for me on a fairly well entrenched section of weed ridden lawn.
The only weeds I get now are new ones, the old ones died, and turned
into a decent fertiliser.

Tom.

Tom Elliott
remove `mapsitna' from email address to reply by email.