Old 20-08-2007, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Sacha is offline

Default Clematis Gillian Blades

On 20/8/07 11:40, in article
,
" wrote:

On Aug 19, 10:32 pm, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"judith.lea wrote after ...

Sacha wrote:
I think this looks lovely but we haven't got it - yet. ;-)
Charlie, do
you
have that one?

We bought one from Charlie a couple of years ago, it's an OK white
but
wouldn't call it anything special. Mind you I'm into big bold colours
now,
must be the dull weather of late.

I saw a pic of it in the Evison book and liked the frilly edge to the
leaves
but if it's a very small flower, then it's probably not right for
where
I'd
like to grow it. I want to put it up either a yew or a Camellia, so
perhaps
I'd be better going for C. Marie Boisselot?
One good thing about all this cool weather is that Tropaeolum
speciosum,
growing through a yew hedge, is doing better than it has for a couple
of
years.

The flowers aren't small so I've been out and measured them, it's
having a
second flush ATM, and they are 5.5 inches tip to tip of the petals
(despite
the plant being moved over last winter). Not a bad size at all, look
good
against a dark background.

Thanks, Bob. We'll give that a try, I think.

Do, because Chalie sent me three, they are spectacular in flower, I
love the pure white frilly edge.

I wouldn't go so far as spectacular, something scarlet that size might be,
but not white. But then I could never see the point of the white garden at
Sissinghurst (and others).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

I am going through my white phase Bob and I am just off to paint a
chair - white!

Judith

Without wishing to introduce a morbid note, I recently did the flowers in
someone's house for her funeral reception. Her favourite colour was white
and the whole house was decorated in shades of white and it looked
absolutely spectacular. I may add she had no children.........

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk