Old 20-08-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Horse/Marestail

In article ,
Malcolm writes:

| I congratulate the editors of the OED for relying on a citation no less
| than 139 years old! Perhaps they haven't found anything more up to
| date.....:-)

Perhaps you should have read John McMillan's response before posting
such arrant nonsense.

| I note that Hooker did this some 139 years ago. The current thread was,
| unsurprisingly, about the current usage and whether or not it could be
| improved. As with other words, if usage does change, the editors of the
| OED do eventually catch up :-)

No, it was NOT, as you damn well know. It was about whether the use of
of marestail to mean Equisetum is correct or incorrect, and whether
Stace's remarks about that use were right or wrong. Such use is correct,
and people who claim that it isn't are themselves wrong.

If you are trying to make a change to the English language, then bully
for you. You probably won't succeed, but that's your problem. But,
as often as you use propaganda and post falsehoods to attempt it, I
will continue to point it out. People may like to look at a thread
from 4 years back, where I pointed out your nonsense; there are
others :-(

http://groups.google.com/group/uk.re...thread/thread/
f4e07c9f668296aa/ed49ee1963af097e?lnk=st&q=&rnum=1&hl=en#ed49ee1963 af097e

I won't say that you are pretending ignorance, because you may be
suffering from memory loss due to your advancing years, but you have
been told about this matter several times before and you continually
repeat your falsehoods.

Enough is enough. I doubt that I shall respond further.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.