Old 20-08-2007, 08:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Layout of Raised Beds

Hello All!

I have an old basketball/tennis court made of macadam (asphalt). The court
is about 40' (East/West) by 100' (North/South). It's days as a baskeball
court are over.

I am planning on breaking up some of the macadam and making several raised
beds. I'll probably be doing this over the course of a few years.

My question is this, what direction should I lay out the long side of the
beds, E-W or N-S? The area is bordered on two sides by trees and lawn on
the other two sides. The trees are far enough away to that their shade
isn't a consideration, but work wll as a windbreak.

I have had great success with this year with tomatoes, peppers and herbs.
I'll being moving these to the new beds and probably addtion some others,
lettuce, beans, cukes, etc. I'll probably have a bed as a cutting garden
also.

I am in southern New Jersey, zone 6, borderline 7.

Thanks for your advice,

Tim