Old 20-08-2007, 08:06 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
[email protected] do_see@do.com is offline

Default Raising level of lawn

John S G wrote:
I have three small lawns, each of which is below the level of the
adjacent paths. They are inherited from the previous owner of the
house and have not sunk in recent years. I want to raise the levels.

I have read that a new lawn requires to be laid on four inches of
topsoil. Can I put four inches of topsoil on top of the existing
lawns and then sow seed or put on readymade rolls? Or do I have to
dig up the existing grass?

I don't want to re-use the sods of the existing grass as there are a
lot of weeds (creeping buttercup, dandelions, clover, daisies,
speedwell and one that looks like pale green miniature spinach).

John

Yes. Just put the soil on the old sod and replant/resod. If you want to,
you can put some roundup on the old sod and wait a couple of days to put
down the new topsoil. No need to do anything with the old soil as long
as you are adding 4" of topsoil to the entire yards.