Old 20-08-2007, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default A hole full of Frogs

In article ,
alanroy writes:

| I have an old septic tank in the garden (just moved in) which is partly
| filled in, but I need to put some more stuff in to fill it totally. When
| I lifted the cover though, I found it full of frogs (about 15 of them).
| I'm not really wanting to cause them much distress, but I do need to
| fill in this hole, do you think they will just get the message when I
| start emptying wheelbarrows full of dirt down the hole and find a new
| space?

Yes. Frogs are more intelligent than trolls, and can take hints. You
should do it in the summer, as they may be hibernating at the bottom
in the winter. Assuming that (a) they can get out and (b) there is
somewhere for them to go.

But there is a question of whether you need to fill it in completely;
if it is on safety grounds, either a solid cover or filling it mostly
full with rubble is fine. You might be able to turn it into a bog
garden, and there are some lovely plants that will grow only in very
wet conditions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.