Old 20-08-2007, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cerumen[_3_] Cerumen[_3_] is offline

Default A hole full of Frogs

"K" wrote in message
alanroy writes

Hello,
I have an old septic tank in the garden (just moved in) which is partly
filled in, but I need to put some more stuff in to fill it totally. When
I lifted the cover though, I found it full of frogs (about 15 of them).
I'm not really wanting to cause them much distress, but I do need to
fill in this hole, do you think they will just get the message when I
start emptying wheelbarrows full of dirt down the hole and find a new
space?

Take them out and put them into an area of damp undergrowth.
At this time of year they're active on land hunting prey, so although
they'll have problems finding somewhere new to hide up, it's not as if
you're obliterating their entire habitat.

They will however head back to the place they were hatched to breed next
year so it might be nice to leave a small pond there for them if that's
possible?

--
Chris. West Cork. Ireland
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you fight with your neighbor.It