Old 20-08-2007, 10:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Lawns after Rhododendron removal

On Aug 20, 6:29 am, Stephen Henning wrote:
mleblanca wrote:
It really depends upon where the oaks are. Oaks on the Pacific Coast
have adapted to growing in a no summer rain, dry climate. If plants
that need summer water are grown in the oak's root zone, the trees
may eventually develop oak root fungus. (This is not always true with
nursery grown trees that have grown up with watering). The best
thing to grow under native oaks here is either nothing, or other dry
adapted native plants.

We have as much rain in summer as you do in winter so that is not a
problem in the East. We have hot summers with frequent thunder storms.
We expect about 3 to 4 inches of rain every month during the summer (and
the rest of the year also). I am originally from Oregon, and people in
the East kid about all the rain in the Pacific Northwest. But the fact
is that we get more inches of rain in the East, just not as many days of
rain. I am comparing New York and Philadelphia with Portland and
Seattle. I know that the PNW has rain forests with more and arid
portions with virtually none.
--
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

Oh, I remember all the rain, thunder, and humidity.....
I went from So Cal to Cleveland Ohio and lived there for 20 years.
Now I'm back in Cal, but the north state, about 100 miles from OR
We have fairly cold winters, with about 25-40 inches of rain, but
it's
still all in the winter. Oh, we did have .27 inch this July, very
unusual.
Emilie
NorCal