Old 02-04-2003, 03:08 PM
janet.bennett

Default o/t Pergola - advice please

Yes, I saw the new gardening programme last night, but unfortunately they
don't quote the number of bags and sand and cement you need. Thanks for
advice.

I've posted the same question to the DIY newsgroup, and someone has
suggested 'ready mixed post stuff', but its about £5.00 a bag. Wanted to
know if anyone knew the amount of sand and cement I'd need, so that I can
compare prices. Once again thanks for advice.

janet.bennett" wrote in message
My husband is in the process of erecting a pergola in our garden, but I

need
some advice

We have 4 upright posts - measuring 4" x 2" (height about 2 metres)

Have tried looking on the net to get an idea of the height, but can't find
anything.
I would like some help please with the following :

1. I don't want the pergola 2 metres high, but would like to know what

would
be an ideal height?
2 Measurements required here :
a. what height above ground should posts be?
b. how much below ground?

2. Concreting posts into ground :
a. how many bags of sand and cement do we need ? the ratio ? should
the mixture be on the dry side ?

Can someone help with the above, as I need to get the sand and cement on
Friday afternoon for the weekend.