Old 02-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Suja

Default Hardiness of Verbena Sissinghurst

I put in a few plants of Verbena Sissinghurst last spring, and it put on
an outstanding show for us, here in zone 6b/7a (pretty sure we're
solidly in zone 7 in the revised map). Well, now that it is spring, the
plants are looking pretty dead. So, my question is, has anyone had this
particular Verbena survive winter in a zone 6 or 7? Is it dead or
really late breaking dormancy?

The listed hardiness varies greatly based on the source, with Wayside
listing it as hardy in zones 5-10, Bluestone at zones 6-10, Plant
Delights at zones 7b-10 and Joy Creek at zones 8-10.

If it is dead (and that's what I'm inclined to believe right now), any
suggestions for a replacement? I'm looking for something low growing
with pink flowers that tolerates full sun.

Suja