Old 21-08-2007, 02:28 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default tennesse drought resistent plants

wrote:
I agree about the azaleas, the reason I'll leave the last few in is
because . . . they aren't dead yet. But to be more specific to my
original question, what flowering low-lying shrub would be good to
fill in the other spots?

mwright
It's not worth the effort here in middle
TN. I have one old azalia left and when it goes that's it.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

Well, there are other forms of Hydrangea that would probably work
although most of them really want moisture and fair-to-good soil. Since
Hydrangeas bloom on new wood pruning in Autumn or Winter or even very
early Spring is fine. I've pruned back overgrown Hydrangeas (unknown
variety but transplanted from my family's PA homestead and very old)
back to ground level in Winter and within a few years they were back to
3 feet tall and blooming beautifully.

There are a number of native plants which might work in your situation
although they might not qualify as "shrubs". For reference, you might
look at http://www.sunlightgardens.com which is a grower of native
plants a few miles up the road from me. They specialize in natives of
the eastern US and you can probably get some ideas there.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]