Old 21-08-2007, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

Default Layout of Raised Beds

On Aug 20, 3:34 pm, "Tim" wrote:
Hello All!

I have an old basketball/tennis court made of macadam (asphalt). The court
is about 40' (East/West) by 100' (North/South). It's days as a baskeball
court are over.

I am planning on breaking up some of the macadam and making several raised
beds. I'll probably be doing this over the course of a few years.

My question is this, what direction should I lay out the long side of the
beds, E-W or N-S? The area is bordered on two sides by trees and lawn on
the other two sides. The trees are far enough away to that their shade
isn't a consideration, but work wll as a windbreak.

I have had great success with this year with tomatoes, peppers and herbs.
I'll being moving these to the new beds and probably addtion some others,
lettuce, beans, cukes, etc. I'll probably have a bed as a cutting garden
also.

I am in southern New Jersey, zone 6, borderline 7.

Thanks for your advice,

Tim

Over the years, I've found it best to work out a modular layout; 4X4
feet works about the best. 4 foot wide beds are about as big as you
can work in from the sides, so in length I just make them a multiple
of 4 foot. Every 4 foot along the sides I stick a piece of pvc pipe
down into the dirt. Then when I have trellises, etc. I just make them
4 foot long, 4 feet of net stretched between a couple of pieces of
lath or of small pvc pipe and and they can go crosswise or lengthwise.
Same for row covers, etc. except I use that flexible black pipe to
curve over between one pair of the 'receivers" to the other.