Old 21-08-2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Hal[_1_] Hal[_1_] is offline

Default About water celery?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 13:09:55 CST, San Diego Joe
wrote:

The scientific name: Vallisneria grows underwater.
The scientific name: Oenanthe javanica grows beautiful leaves above
the water. Both of these have other names also, but are commonly
called water celery.

This is what I have always thought was water celery:

http://www.koivet.com/plants/celery.html

That is the common name used by lots of people, so I'm willing to
accept that is what it is called, but by definition, Vallisneria,
strikes me as one that wouldn't burn back to the water when frost
strikes or we get a thin film of ice that lasts a day or two during
colder winters. The variety called tape grass is something I've seen
in aquariums for years and ignored it, thinking I had no use for such
a plant. Now, I'm not so sure. I prefer to take advantage of the
experience of others and appreciate your helping me.

Does your celery die back from the cold weather?

I'm searching for plants to replace the water hyacinth. It is the
fastest growing water plant I've ever used, but it is unpredictable
for me and the long roots are messy. Some years I toss them in an
they grow, some years they turn yellow and shrink and I haven't
discovered why. (Yes, I've gone through the potassium, magnesium,
iron fertilizing. No, it doesn't always work.) My solution is to go
with plants that aren't so unpredictable for me. Unfortunately the
plants I think work best are over 3' tall and need a firm place to
anchor. (I'm still working on that. How do you clean a pyramid of
bricks on the bottom?)
--
Hal Middle Georgia, Zone 8
http://tinyurl.com/2fxzcb