Old 21-08-2007, 09:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

On Aug 15, 10:04 pm, Omelet wrote:

Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
goodpotdrainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put apotsherd over the hole or holes.

Gravel doesn't improve drainage. Drilling holes in the
pot does that. Gravel does help aerate the soil, getting
more oxygen to roots and beneficial bugs.