Old 22-08-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC JennyC is offline

Default Sacha on TV

"'Mike'" wrote
snipped
I had a once well known Net Nanny swear at me on these newsgroups. That to
me, put him in the gutter. To swear, it means you do not have proper
command of the Queen's English and you are showing it.
Mike

Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shit )says among other things:

Shit is a vulgar word in Modern English denoting feces (faeces). It is a
native English word, but Latin terms for many common objects and bodily
functions came to be seen as more distinguished than native words,[citation
needed] and thereafter feces became the accepted English noun, to defecate
became the accepted English verb, and shit was no longer used in polite
company.

(so OK maybe I am not polite !)

Etymology
Scholars trace the word back to Old Norse origin (skita), and it is
virtually certain that it was used in some form by preliterate Germanic
tribes at the time of the Roman Empire. It was originally adopted into Old
English as scitte, eventually morphing into Middle English schitte.

What BTW is the Queens English ?
Jenny :~))))