Old 22-08-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article . com,
Father Haskell wrote:

On Aug 15, 10:04 pm, Omelet wrote:

Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
goodpotdrainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put apotsherd over the hole or holes.

Gravel doesn't improve drainage.

I respectfully disagree.
Did some googling and found LOTS of references.
Here is just one:

http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Bulbs_in_Containers

"Drainage

Good drainage is essential! Make sure the pot has plenty of drainage
holes in its bottom. Enlarge the holes or drill more if necessary.

Place a layer of drainage material at the bottom of the container.
Old-fashioned gardeners called this "crocking" because they used pieces
of broken pots or crocks for this layer. If you'll be moving the
container, you may choose to use packaging peanuts, which do not
disintegrate but are much lighter in weight. "

I have also used packing peanuts to cut weight in really large pots.
Just don't use the biodegradable ones. G

Drilling holes in the
pot does that.

It helps, but graveling the bottom of a large pot also is beneficial.

Gravel does help aerate the soil, getting
more oxygen to roots and beneficial bugs.

--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.