Old 22-08-2007, 03:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default red bugs redux

joann wrote:
pic posted on a.b.p.g. labeled red bugs

I appreciate your help identifying these little critters

thanks

Joann

OK. I finally located the red bug picture on another news server.
Perhaps a bit of information would help identify your critters. For
example: actual size of the largest insect? was it photographed on 8/18
as the exif data would suggest? where, geographically, was the photo taken?

My first wild guess would be that it is some sort of milkweed bug along
with nymphs of the same species. The Large Milkweed Bug (Oncopeltus
fasciatus) in particular is a possibility given that it is known for
bright red nymphs with black legs and antennae. The one thing that
throws me off is that the largest insect's pattern doesn't quite match
what I'd expect from an adult of the species but they go through changes
as they mature with more and more black appearing as they grow from
nymph stage.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]