Old 22-08-2007, 07:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Omelet Omelet is offline

Default Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"JS" wrote:

Bill,

If you don't mind, can we stick with my original question,
whether it is OK or not to put some landscape rocks
on the surface of a pot to make it heavier? It is just a
simple YES or NO answer !!

JIMMY

Well, actually, the original question that you wanted answered was would
the rocks hurt your trees. If used as Omlet suggested, the answer is no.

It is a crying shame that the OP became so incensed, as each response
was in one way or another made in an attempt to solve his problem albeit
not with pat Yes or No answers. I have actually tied large container
plants to fixed trellises or posts and kept them upright in high winds.
I haven't had the opportunity to stake down patio containers as I'm able
to move mine behind windward walls, but it's a damn good idea! Too bad
he didn't want to hear about things like that.

In that case, can putting rocks on top of the soil hurt his trees, the
answer is YES.

It can cause soil compaction which causes a host of problems.

Consider other suggested alternatives.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.