Old 22-08-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David \(Normandy\) David \(Normandy\) is offline

Default A hole full of Frogs

Frogs and toads are often the victims of careless strimming and mowing,
especially in grass that is not kept closely mown. Nylon gardening
netting,
--
Sacha

You got that one right. I often find frogs playing "chicken" with the lawn
mower. They leap out of the way at the very last moment - or not :-( I don't
intentionally hurt them and if I see them re-home them from the lawn to the
vegetable plot. I just wish they were a bit more afraid of the noise of the
mower. When they hop out of the way they don't clear off, just sitting there
in the unmown grass waiting to play the same game over and over as I go up
and down the lawn.

I have childhood memories of mowing time and corn harvesting time at my
fathers farm. Depending on who did the job they cut the grass (or harvested
the grain) in various patterns up / down / around the field. The worst
pattern seemed to be concentric circles from the outside of the field
finishing in the centre. As the mower/harvester went along, the wildlife
moved for cover to the uncut area until they all ended up in the middle of
the field where they got massacred on the final cut. Rabbits, voles, mice,
rats, partridges etc. Carnage. :-( So the moral of this is always to mow
from one side to the other, where "the other" is somewhere for wildlife to
safely escape to.

David.