Old 23-08-2007, 01:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

"MajorOz" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 22, 6:53 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:
"Eigenvector" wrote in message

. ..

"George.com" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news Any reason why joint compound can't be worked into the soil to add in
nutrients, like calcium, or as a way to control the ph of the soil?
have
about 3 lbs of the stuff from a previous drywall project and didn't
want
toss it out, when I could toss it on the compost pile or toss it in
the
dirt
to break down.

I can say that old gib board is reprocessed to get the gypsum out of
it &
then sold as a soil amendment.

rob

That's promising. I was hoping that joint compound didn't contain
something that would be detrimental to plant growth.

I mean this in a good way, but this is the dumbest idea I've heard since
George Bush opened his mouth this morning. You want calcium in your soil?
Go
buy a bag of bone meal for a few bucks.

He asked if he could use it rather than throw it away.. If you have
information that would help him, I am sure it would be welcomed.
Wallboard scrap works nicely in pH control. When I built my pond, I
dumped 30,000 of wallboard scrap in it before it filled. I have the
only alkali (about 7.6) pond in the region, and the fish reproduce
like rabbits.

cheers

oz, who can't help with his question, but won't, here, be nasty

I wasn't being nasty. There's something missing from this discussion.
Haven't you noticed? What's missing is anyone who knows **exactly** what is
in joint compound. As far as throwing it away, why do that? If the
container's sealed properly, it'll last for years.