Old 23-08-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster Kay Lancaster is offline

Default tennesse drought resistent plants

On 22 Aug 2007 10:43:48 -0400, Jim Kingdon wrote:

Someone also suggested Callicarpa americana. That's a pretty plant
(well, based on the photos; we don't have one yet).
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=CAAM2
Native range is similar (southern TN and south), although not quite
identical. In cooler climates (zone 6 or so) it will die back to the
ground in winter, but come back from roots. Comes back quickly after
pruning. Drought tolerance is not clear from my books but I'm
guessing it would come back pretty well after most kinds of trauma.

It's really quite an adaptable species... prefers neutral to slightly
alkaline pH, loam or fairly well drained clay, does best in dryish
soils though it'll put up with moist but not waterlogged, drought-tolerant
once established, blooms on new growth. Sun to partial shade.
Pretty good wildlife plant, too.

Maybe not quite as easy to grow as dandelions, but close. g