Old 23-08-2007, 12:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Restoring old veg plot

alanroy wrote:
Hello,
My new garden has a veg plot at the end, which I'd like to have a crack
at. I've read Joy Larkcoms book cover to cover, which suggest I may have
to wait two season before I can plant anything.

Being as impatient as I am, does anyone have any suggestions as to what
I can put in it in the next six weeks or so to get it going, or should I
leave it until next spring?

It was quite overgrown with brambles and weeds, but I am now digging it
out and getting it ready for use.

How much growing season do you have left this year?

I usually start projects like that in the spring. I spray everything
with Roundup, mow it all down once it's dead, and plant among the
stubble without disturbing the soil any more than I have to.

Plan on mulching heavily with compost etc. and letting the earthworms
turn the soil. If you turn it over, you will awaken thousands of
dormant weed seeds.

I've been mulching with shredded paper this year, and it's amazing how
fast the worms eat the mulch. (paper is very low in nitrogen and will
bind nitrogen away from the soil as it decays, so you might have to add
additional nitrogen or water your plants with something like Miracle
Grow the first season. The nitrogen grabbed by the paper will be
released again eventually; it's a good thing)

Best regards,
Bob