Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Paul Kelly

Default o/t Pergola - advice please

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
janet.bennett wrote:
Yes, I saw the new gardening programme last night, but unfortunately they
don't quote the number of bags and sand and cement you need. Thanks for
advice.

But my advice is NOT to use concrete at all! If you build a pergola
properly, it will support itself and you will not have trouble with
the concrete when planting or removing it.

Possibly, but you need to define "Properly"! ie crossmembers properly
jointed and srtucural corner bracers etc etc the top structure is then
locked and solid.

But IHMO that is all too much faff. Concrete in 4*4 verticles to 75cm and
bolt or screw the horizontals and you can forget about all the proper
jointing and cross bracing.

see http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur07.htm for the Oracles advice on the
matter! A bit over heavy for me, but strucurally spot on.

pk