Old 23-08-2007, 11:29 AM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Ann[_2_] Ann[_2_] is offline

Default Experience With Hybrid Poplars -- Maryland

On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:56:23 -0700, Larry Caldwell wrote:

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) says...

Except for one humongous Androscoggin at the edge of the property, all
have either come down on their own or I had them taken down. Got
tired of cleaning up hybrid mess in the neighbor's field.

Why in the world did you plant them in the first place if you weren't
going to harvest them for biomass?

Windbreak, riparian buffer, wildlife cover/food, stabilize waste areas,
quick screens, and harvest for chipboard and pulp. My guess is that it's
most used in the plains states. In the NorthEast, poplar is an early
succession tree that will eventually be overtaken by other species.

Someone tried a few acres of hybrid poplars about a half-mile from me and
they didn't make it through the first summer/winter.

Planting hybrid poplar for
landscaping is about like planting wheat for a lawn. It's just not
going to work, and anybody should have told you that.

Sorry you wasted all that effort.