Old 23-08-2007, 01:17 PM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Frank Frank is offline

Default Experience With Hybrid Poplars -- Maryland

Jack wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:56:23 -0700, Larry Caldwell
wrote:

In article ,
(Way Back Jack) says...

Except for one humongous Androscoggin at the edge of the property, all
have either come down on their own or I had them taken down. Got
tired of cleaning up hybrid mess in the neighbor's field.

Why in the world did you plant them in the first place if you weren't
going to harvest them for biomass? Planting hybrid poplar for
landscaping is about like planting wheat for a lawn. It's just not
going to work, and anybody should have told you that.

My goal was to create a forest from a cow pasture. I knew nothing
about trees and believed the claims and advertising which were
apparently supported by government testing. Books like Wyman's and
Pirone's did not address hybrid popolars because they were apparently
so new.

Live and learn.

I planted a half dozen for a screen in a section of my lot also
believing the advertising hype. My experience was the same except I
created problem for new property owner as to what I thought was property
line on vacant lot was over the line. Over 30 years in this house, I've
been able to see what happens from planting seedlings to their maturity.
I have several other trees that I wish I had not planted.

Frank