Old 23-08-2007, 03:46 PM posted to balt.general,rec.gardens,misc.rural
Jack[_13_] Jack[_13_] is offline

Default Experience With Hybrid Poplars -- Maryland

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:17:32 -0400, Frank
frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote:

I planted a half dozen for a screen in a section of my lot also
believing the advertising hype. My experience was the same except I
created problem for new property owner as to what I thought was property
line on vacant lot was over the line. Over 30 years in this house, I've
been able to see what happens from planting seedlings to their maturity.
I have several other trees that I wish I had not planted.

Frank

You and I share common experiences:

1) Hybrid poplar fiasco

2) Crossing property lines.

In my case, it was a neighbor who inadvertently planted 50 Eastern
white pines on my property. This seemed great at first, as it
contributed to the goal of changing a cow pasture into a forest.
However, in my youthful ignorance, I overlooked the fact that many of
them were planted directly under power lines that served my house and
a few farms, but not her house. These trees played hell with the
power lines.

When the tree guys took down the Androscoggins I also had them take
down the pines. The neighbor was livid.