Old 23-08-2007, 03:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

"Charles" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 00:14:59 GMT, Charles
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:27:38 -0700, "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Any reason why joint compound can't be worked into the soil to add in
nutrients, like calcium, or as a way to control the ph of the soil? I
have
about 3 lbs of the stuff from a previous drywall project and didn't want
toss it out, when I could toss it on the compost pile or toss it in the
dirt
to break down.

Here is the URL for an MSDS page for drywall compound.

It's mostly gypsum, here we buy that to add to our soil. It depends
where you are and the condition of your soil whether it would be good
or bad. In any event, nothing bad will happen if you mix it in with
the soil.

Oops, forgot

http://www.cgcinc.com/pdf/MSDS/61-360-035_E.pdf

Thanks for the link, I didn't know the composition amounts. I was concerned
about the EVA portions, but looking at the concentrations they're far too
small to matter in the amounts I'm looking at.

So what is Perlite good for anyway? (so far as plants are concerned anyway)