Old 23-08-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Joint compound as fertilizer/conditioner

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"MajorOz" wrote in message
ups.com...

"George.com" wrote in message

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
news Any reason why joint compound can't be worked into the soil to add
in
nutrients, like calcium, or as a way to control the ph of the soil?
have
about 3 lbs of the stuff from a previous drywall project and didn't
want
toss it out, when I could toss it on the compost pile or toss it in
the
dirt
to break down.

I can say that old gib board is reprocessed to get the gypsum out of
it &
then sold as a soil amendment.

rob

That's promising. I was hoping that joint compound didn't contain
something that would be detrimental to plant growth.

I mean this in a good way, but this is the dumbest idea I've heard
since
George Bush opened his mouth this morning. You want calcium in your
soil? Go
buy a bag of bone meal for a few bucks.

He asked if he could use it rather than throw it away.. If you have
information that would help him, I am sure it would be welcomed.
Wallboard scrap works nicely in pH control. When I built my pond, I
dumped 30,000 of wallboard scrap in it before it filled. I have the
only alkali (about 7.6) pond in the region, and the fish reproduce
like rabbits.

cheers

oz, who can't help with his question, but won't, here, be nasty

I wasn't being nasty. There's something missing from this discussion.
Haven't you noticed? What's missing is anyone who knows **exactly** what
is in joint compound. As far as throwing it away, why do that? If the
container's sealed properly, it'll last for years.

You were being nasty, or at least that's how it was perceived.

As far as the compound is concerned, what did you think I was going to buy
it from the store and shovel it into my garden? No, its a bunch of
drywall and paper contaminated compound that isn't worth saving. We're
talking a quart or so. So I figure, why not, its useless once it gets
contaminated, so why not roll it back into the garden or compost pile and
add the calcium back in? I admit its probably not the first thing you
would think of doing, but with the exception of the EVA its mostly water
and limestone.

I wasn't being nasty at all. I was just stating a fact based on the
available information, which, by the way, did NOT include the fact that it
was contaminated with debris.