Old 23-08-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Max Wright[_1_] Max Wright[_1_] is offline

Default Restoring old veg plot

In message , alanroy
writes

Hello,
My new garden has a veg plot at the end, which I'd like to have a crack
at. I've read Joy Larkcoms book cover to cover, which suggest I may have
to wait two season before I can plant anything.

Being as impatient as I am, does anyone have any suggestions as to what
I can put in it in the next six weeks or so to get it going, or should I
leave it until next spring?

It was quite overgrown with brambles and weeds, but I am now digging it
out and getting it ready for use.

Assuming you're in the UK, and not too far north, you have nothing to
lose by sowing a few winter-hardy salads such as chicories and endives,
land cress, claytonia, maybe winter and/or "baby leaf" spinach. Also
there are many quick-growing oriental greens that should produce
worthwhile pickings before winter sets in. Garlic is planted in autumn
and broad beans and round-seeded peas can also be sown then, for
slightly earlier crops next year.

- Max Wright