Old 24-08-2007, 09:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George.com George.com is offline

Default Tomato pesticides, anything better than Malathion?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Omelet wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Me neither! But that black growth sounds suspiciously like blight -
which no amount of insecticide - or fungicide, for that matter - is
going to cure. If that's really what it is, there isn't much you can

do
except remove affected leaves and fruit and hope it only spreads

slowly.
However, since blight thrives in humid conditions you should probably
cut down on the spraying too.
I wonder if a sulfur treatment would help?

Bordeaux mixture should work, and it even sticks pretty well through

rains.

Bob

I'm not familiar with that. I'll have to google it...

Copper sulfate and slaked lime. I think it's even "organic" approved.

Bob

what role does the lime play? We have copper sulfate spray which I use from
time to time, but not with lime.

rob