Old 24-08-2007, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

Default Home Depot ...........

Those questions about "Al" are important ones; who what and where. I am
still looking for the answers and "Al" is approaching 50. For a while
there, I did think I had a handle on *where* he was, but that turned out to
be erroneous.

I used to think that the size of the greenhouse and the variety of plants,
their prices, sizes, etc, were viewed favorably in an inverse proportion to
the distance and time driven to get here. I usually ask people where they
have come from, especially when they remark on how far they have come.
Often, it seems those who live nearby, within 45 minutes or so, believe they
have had a long drive and wonder disappointedly why don't see any large
white Phals like they saw at Home Depot. On the other side of the spectrum
are the people who show up from New York or Tennessee and spend several
hours combing through things and leave with a back seat full of plants
telling me they "enjoyed the drive" and repeating an often heard criticism
"I didn't see most of this stuff on the online catalog."

But, I do agree with you about those 500 miles; too far. Personally I
wouldn't drive more than about half an hour to see an orchid greenhouse as
big as the one I have in my own backyard.

Wherever thou doth find a wench capable of hoisting a 600 pound greenhouse
heater 16 feet into the air there too shall I be.

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Drive out and see "Al?" Who, what and *where* is Al? ???

http://www.orchidexchange.com/

You're kidding right? That's like 500 miles from where I live. :-O