Old 24-08-2007, 12:20 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Identify land snail

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

Try Cochlicella barbara or C. acuta

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...Images&gbv= 2

Thanks. It looks like they are in fact some species of cochlicella.
Given
their rapid multplication I may be looking for a moluscicide, the
iron-based
ones look much more specific and safe than the old metaldehyde. Do you
have
any experience of such?

David

I have used the methadehyde in the past. I seem to remember they kill snails
and slugs and break down in the soil back to carbon and hydrogen. Have also
been known to collect the snails and throw them into water which has salt
added to it.

Most recently I bait my rat traps with snail pellets as they seem to like
them. Hence I put pellets out only to find none when I check and no snail
shells in site.

Cheers

Richard