Old 02-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Lisa J Gehl

Default AZ Newbie

Hi Christine,

I live in AZ as well, Phoenix area. I spent most of my life near Chicago so
it's definitely a learning experience here. I would think that tomatoes
would do fine during the summer here as long as you give them a lot of
water. Also, I've definitely learned one thing, when a plant's instructions
note that it needs full sun, that doesn't mean you really need it in
Phoenix. LOL A lot of full sun plants will require some shade or almost
full shade in order to tolerate the weather on those hot days.

I tried some tomatoes over our winter and they got hit by some frost, not
major, but enough to take out the tomatoes. I just started some from seed
recently and planted one tomato plant to see how it does and I'll be getting
more soon.

--
Lisa

"Christine Lipfert" wrote in message
om...
Hello all! I just recently moved into a house that has a 60 sqft.
garden. I'm not sure what types of plants I currently have, but I
have some space for additional plants. I went out this past weekend
and bought some early girls, big beef, big boy, and sweet tomatoes(?).
I live in Arizona, so this might not be the best time to transfer the
plants into the garden. In az it hits 90 somewhere in April/May.
I've read on this message board that tomatoes won't grow in weather
above 90. Any suggestions? Oh, and I'm planning on buying Gardening
for Dummies!