Old 25-08-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens
Ann Ann is offline

Default Composting toilets

"Eigenvector" expounded:

It doesn't work that way in our district. Here a septic drain field is
impossibly large by code, much much larger than the one my house was built
on. My presumption is that they are trying to encourage everyone to get
onto sewer. Until my septic fails I won't do that - or at least until they
put a lien on my property.

Well, they aren't even an option here (sewers), nor are they likely to
be in the near future, so I'm safe for now. We just spent $11K on a
new septic system, I'd been here 27 years at that point on a cesspool
that had finally failed, so we had to. We got off easy. Due to Title
5, many people around here have what I call a Monument to Title 5 in
their yards -a raised leaching field that looks like bloody hell and
costs much more than ours, which is in the ground, way down back
behind the house, the only sign of it is the damned white candy-cane
vent.

I was wondering about the composting toilet because it would dramatically
change the lifespan of an older drain field.

I'm sure they aren't allowed around here. I used to have a greywater
system that had been installed with the original cesspool back in the
50's. It's still out there, but they won't let me tie into it.
Stupid.

In many of the state and national parks they use composting toilets. I
think they're great, they don't smell, and allow them to put in public
toilets without having to go to the expense of plumbing, etc.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts